Day 4 & 5 of Summer Springboard (Session 2):
“I selected Summer Springboard this summer because I wanted to explore a career in medicine while meeting new people and learning new things. Summer Springboard provides the perfect opportunity for me to encounter new people, new things, and a career in medicine.”
- Engineering Excursion – Stantec
- Students arrived at the project site for the new UCSF Weill Institute for Neurosciences building.
- An architect from Stantec, the leading global engineering firm at the project site, spoke to the students about the ins and outs of creating a building from scratch.
- Computer Science Excursion – Raspberry Pi
- At the Raspberry Pi office there was an experiential event where students could build a project using Python and machine learning.
- The Raspberry Pi Foundation provides low-cost, high-performance computers that people use to learn, solve problems and have fun
- Engineering Excursion – Autodesk Gallery
- Named a top destination by Wired magazine and the San Francisco Chronicle, the Autodesk Gallery at One Market in San Francisco explores the future of making things.
- From a car that’s grown from seeds to an interactive dress, the gallery has dozens of fascinating exhibits to explore.
- Students dived into the entire museum featuring exceptional design and engineering exhibits, including original works by Lego, Mercedes-Benz, Nike, and more.
- Giants Stadium Tour
- The students heard from two speakers with the Giants corporation who gave some great advice – “Communication is key no matter what profession you get in to. Make sure to work well with teams as this will get you far!”
- Fun fact – whenever the championship trophy is flown in, the trophy gets its very own first class seat!