Artificial intelligence is revolutionizing the way data is used to identify problems and provide possible solutions. This technology is being used in hundreds of ways around us. Students in this class will learn about machine learning and how it is being used as a disruptive innovation technology in just about every industry that exists. Students will explore how the four main types of machine learning are being used in business today. The students will work to gain the skills necessary to utilize large datasets to train a machine to independently recognize basic images by using bit patterns to identify key attributes within a certain margin of accuracy. Students will then analyze how accurate the algorithm they created will be based on trial and error while testing the results their algorithms have returned.
Open to any middle school student who will be entering 6th, 7th, or 8th grade in Fall 2023. Space is limited. Each session is limited to 35 students per track.
Classes will be held via Zoom and facilitated in real-time by the instructor and a classroom coordinator.
Certificate of Completion
Upon completion of the course, students will receive a Certificate of Completion from Summer Springboard.
- Explore how machines learn while examining the various applications being used in the field of Artificial Intelligence.
- Take a deep dive into the four main types of artificial intelligence learning - supervised learning, unsupervised learning, semi-supervised learning, and reinforcement learning.
- Gain the skills necessary to train a computer to independently recognize basic images by using bit patterns from large data sets.
- Learn how technology companies are harnessing the power of large datasets through the creation of a classification algorithm to train the machine to begin identifying the desired outcomes.
- Practice algorithm testing to ensure classifications are functioning as students have designed and accuracy procedures are achieved.
July 3, 2023 July 7, 2023 2:00p PDT - 5:00p PDT