Day 9 & 10 of Summer Springboard (Session 2):
“It has been an amazing experience meeting people and making friends from all over the world. I’ve learned a lot about careers in the medical field, and I’m positive I want to pursue a career in medicine in the future!” Madeline (Medicine & Healthcare)
“So far my biggest takeaway is that it’s easy to make friends with everyone around you if you approach every new experience with an open mind. I’ve already learned so much about the design process in my engineering class and I’m looking forward to everything else we’ll learn this week.” Rachel (Engineering)
“My biggest takeaway is that while being smart to start with is important and definitely helpful for a future job, the most important factor is a person’s emotional intelligence.” Lisa (Creative Writing)
- Medicine & Healthcare – Mass Casualty Simulation
- The students ran through procedures for dealing with an excess of wounded patients in a simulated case of a bomb going off in a city.
- They learned how to assess injuries and set up triage.
- Business & Entrepreneurship – Wholesome Wave
- The business students got to hear a presentation from Wholesome Wave and visited a local market as well to explore the operational side of the business.
- Wholesome Wave empowers under-served consumers to make better food choices by increasing affordable access to healthy produce.
- Sarah Pandoursky, Director of Partnership, shared the backstory of the organization – from its founding to the company working with other corporations to spread their work across the entire United States.
- Scavenger Hunt at the Yale Museums
- Students explored the galleries of the Yale Museums to get behind-the-scenes photos, curator insights, and more.
- The mission of the Yale University Art Gallery is to encourage appreciation and understanding of art and its role in society through direct engagement with original works of art.
- Engineering & Innovation – Guest Speaker, Kathryn Gagnon
- The engineering students had a guest speaker, Kathryn Gagnon, who is a Project Engineer at Langan.
- Langan provides an integrated mix of engineering and environmental consulting services in support of land development projects, corporate real estate portfolios, and the energy industry.
- Langan clients include developers, property owners, public agencies, corporations, institutions, and energy companies around the world.
- Creative Writing – Guest Speaker, Nicole Garcia
- In the creative writing program, we had a special speaker, poet, Nicole Caruso Garcia.
- She writes mainly Formalist poetry and her work has appeared in print and online journals such as Mezzo Cammin, Willow Review, The Raintown Review, The Sow’s Ear Poetry Review, Soundings East, The Ledge, Poetry Midwest, and Small Pond Magazine of Literature.
- She teaches Poetry and Creative Writing at Trumbull High School and has received the Spring 2010 Willow Review Award.