Day 4 & 5 of Summer Springboard (Session 1):
“I am not 100% sure what I am interested in for a career, but medicine seems like an interesting path, so I am doing Summer Springboard to learn if it is really something that I want to do. I also am interested to learn more about the college process so that I can get a better understanding of where I want to go.”
- Computer Science Excursion – Apple New Haven Coding
- Computer science students got to play in the Apple store in New Haven to see how easy and fun coding can be.
- Students explored block-based coding by programming simple movements, changing colors, and more. They also set up obstacles and used an iPad to program a path for their robot to navigate.
- Trial Law Excursion – Superior Courthouse
- Students received a one-of-a-kind experience as a first-hand witness to a sentence hearing at the New Haven County Courthouse.
- Significant court cases tried at the courthouse include Griswold v. Connecticut and the trial of Black Panther Bobby Seale.
- Students also got to spend time with Judge Fisher, a judge on the New Haven District Superior Court in Connecticut. He was appointed to the bench in 2001 by Governor John Rowland.
- Engineering Excursion – Luchs Consulting
- Luchs Consulting Engineers. founded in 1948, is a dynamic Connecticut licensed engineering and land surveying firm providing a full range of engineering services to federal, state, municipal, utility and private clients throughout New England.
- One of their major projects was designing the State Street Bridge Project where they provided survey control, pile layout, bridge monitoring and utility system monitoring during construction.
- Medicine Excursion – Fairfield SIM Center
- Students went to the simulation lab for practice with blood pressure, pulse assessment, and other medical skills at Fairfield University.
- The Simulation Center at Fairfield University has received a five-year accreditation by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH).
- The center uses the latest in healthcare equipment and modern classroom settings to provide a practical and engaging education for students.
- Business & Entrepreneurship Excursion – Platt LaBonia
- Since 1945, Platt & LaBonia Company has been designing and delivering custom steel fabrication products with an uncompromising commitment to quality and service.
- Students received a special tour of the 130,000 sq ft facility and got to hear directly from the owners about their ability to respond quickly and cost effectively to customer needs and other best sales and marketing practices.
- Computer Science Excursion – SeeClickFlix
- SeeClickFix is a digital communications system, that provides simple yet powerful request and work management technology for local governments.
- Here’s an example of SeeClickFix in action – users post a complaint about problems that occur within a set of boundaries on a Google Map, like graffiti at a bus stop or potholes on a busy street, and the site communicates the problem to the appropriate government agency and marks the problem on the map.