LAST UPDATED: MARCH 17, 2020 AT 3:30PM PT
The safety and health of students and staff is always the highest priority at Summer Springboard, and we have a long history of planning for and managing communicable diseases. With the potential spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) within the United States we would like to share with parents the procedures and precautions we take to manage communicable diseases.
Who do we listen to?
While the coronavirus currently poses no immediate threat to our programs, we have communicable disease plans in place that will be revised in cooperation with public health authorities as additional COVID-19 guidance is provided.
We follow guidelines from the following institutions:
- – Local county public health departments where our programs are located
- – Host universities where we operate our programs
- – US Centers for Disease Control
Review, update, and implement emergency operations plans (EOPs)
In the event that there is an outbreak of any communicable disease, we have plans in place to safeguard the well being of our students. This includes training on preventive strategies, hand washing and sanitation facilitation, and creation of partnerships with local hospitals and public health agencies.
Summer Springboard has always taken great care to develop and maintain medical practices to address a variety of communicable diseases, both common and rare. We require immunization history from all students. We reserve the right not to admit students who pose a communicable disease risk to others.
Constant Monitoring and Updating of Policies
We will update our health and wellness screening policies and procedures to reflect the current best practices recommended by public health authorities. We constantly monitor information from the World Health Organization (WHO) and Center for Disease Control (CDC).
As the virus spreads within the United States, we retain the right change criteria for admission to the program. All county health departments have advised that we restrict travelers for 14 days after leaving an affected area. This list may change at any time and may include areas within the United States. Any students who become ineligible to join the program will receive a full refund.
Outbreak Response Plan
The CDC states that it is still too soon to make any decisions about how this will evolve in the next few months. However, as local, national, and global public health recommendations shift to include mitigation of transmission, some universities are temporarily suspending in-person classes and offering online instruction. However, other campus buildings such as dormitories, cafeterias, and libraries remain open, and many campus operations will proceed normally.
Summer Springboard is working with its university campus partners to formulate an outbreak response plan in the event an outbreak occurs in the immediate vicinity of the program. This involves coordinating with the university, local public health officials, and our partners at nearby hospitals. At this moment, none of our universities have indicated that summer programs are cancelled. They too hope that the situation will change and programs can resume as normal. No later than May 1st, we will make a decision with our university partners as to whether our programs will run on campus this summer. In the event that a host university is closed, we will work to offer the program at an alternate campus, nearby location, or provide a refund.
More Lenient Cancellation Policy & Program Protection Plan
We realize that families may want more time to see how the current situation with coronavirus evolves, therefore we have revised our cancellation policy to allow more time to be able to cancel and receive a refund or rollover tuition to a future year.
While we plan to run our programs if the universities deem it safe, we offer an optional Program Protection Plan that allows families to cancel for any reason, at any time. This is meant for unfortunate, unforeseen events that provoke a last-minute cancellation. The Program Protection Plan must be purchased by May 1, 2020 and costs $450.