Summer Immersion Academy
Once confined to the realm of science fiction, virtual reality (VR) is now revolutionizing sectors as diverse as entertainment, business, education, and healthcare. The VR industry is evolving at a rapid rate, and new platforms and capabilities are constantly emerging. The industry heavy hitters like Google, Microsoft, and Meta are increasingly focusing on this amazing technology and the opportunities it offers.
This innovative college-level course in partnership with iXperience is perfectly designed to help high schoolers gain real world knowledge and experience before committing to a Virtual Reality pathway in college. Students will get the opportunity to apply their newly gained skills to a hands-on project by prototyping, testing, and refining a game of their own design with rules they define. While specific briefs vary from course to course, all of the projects are selected to perfectly complement the skills covered in class and enable students to create their own virtual reality experience. They will also earn a Certificate of Virtual Reality bootcamp course completion from an expert teacher. No prior VR experience required for this course.
Open to any high school student who will be entering freshman, sophomore, junior or senior year in Fall 2023. Space is limited. Each session is limited to 35 students per track.
Classes will be held via Zoom and facilitated in real-time by the instructor and a classroom coordinator.
- Analyze the best examples of virtual reality (VR) games and products to discover why they're successful and why some are failures through failure analysis.
- Learn the essentials of world design - how to add details, effects, lighting, textures, layers, and materials.
- Learn the fundamentals of VR interaction, such as how to place and transform different world geometries and allow users to interact using in-world physics.
- Learn the Unity development platform to create unique virtual reality and mixed reality experiences.
- Prototype, test, and refine a game of your own with rules you define.
July 3, 2023 July 13, 2023 9:00 AM PT / 12:00 PM ET