Day 4 & 5 of Summer Springboard (Session 1):
“I wanted to explore the global health career path further and fully immerse myself into a college environment to get a feel for what’s to come! I also wanted to step out of my comfort zone and go across country to experience new adventures and hopefully make lifelong friendships.”
- Medicine Excursion – Kanbar Center
- The Kanbar Center supports UCSF’s educational mission of teaching, learning, and assessment through simulation recreating routine and complex situations.
- Students performed compressions on dummies to the popular songs, “Stayin Alive” by Bee Gees and “Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson.
- Engineering Excursion – Stantec
- Stantec houses the entire cross-functional project team in a temporary building at the project site so designers, engineers, architects, estimators and project managers can work faster and more collaboratively.
- Students spent time reviewing “pull schedules” that allow the orchestra of fields to come together to create a masterpiece – the new UCSF Weill Institute for Neurosciences.
- Engineering Excursion – Autodesk Gallery
- Named a top destination by Wired magazine and the San Francisco Chronicle, the Autodesk Gallery at One Market in San Francisco explores the future of making things.
- From a car that’s grown from seeds to an interactive dress, the gallery has dozens of fascinating exhibits to explore.
- Students toured the entire museum featuring exceptional design and engineering exhibits, including original works by Lego, Mercedes-Benz, Nike, and more.
- Business & Entrepreneurship Excursion – Oakland BBB
- Students visited the Better Business Bureau, the ideal place to foster young entrepreneurs with its focus on encouraging and supporting best practices by educating consumers and businesses.
- The BBB helps people find and recommend businesses, brands and charities they can trust.
- Computer Science Excursion – Raspberry Pi
- At the Raspberry Pi office there was an experiential event where students could build a project using Python and machine learning.
- The Raspberry Pi Foundation provides low-cost, high-performance computers that people use to learn, solve problems and have fun
- Global Health Excursion – Alameda County Public Health Lab
- The Public Health Laboratory provides testing services for the identification of microorganisms that cause disease including bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites.
- These services aid in the prevention and control of communicable diseases and provide student’s with real world, practical insight of everything they’ve been learning in the classroom.
- College Life Panel
- Student’s got the opportunity to ask the RAs all about the college experience – from the good to the bad!
- The group of RAs represent current or recent grads from UCLA, U Mass Boston, Temple University, Rutgers, Dickinson College, Knox College, UC Riverside, and Wayne State University.