Day 5 & 6 of Summer Springboard (Session 1):
“My favorite part of Summer Springboard is time with the instructors. They are super kind and helpful. I feel comfortable asking them lots of questions and they are patient in explaining everything in a way we can understand.” Daisy (Medicine & Healthcare)
- Digital Journalism Field Trip – Bloomberg
Bloomberg has 2700 journalists in 100 countries writing over 5000 stories a day!
Students got a behind the scenes look into Bloomberg’s terminal to see the headline story about Amazon moving to the healthcare space by acquiring Pillpack.
- Giants Stadium Tour
- The students heard from two speakers with the Giants corporation who gave some great advice – “Communication is key no matter what profession you get in to. Make sure to work well with teams as this will get you far!”
- Fun fact – whenever the championship trophy is flown in, the trophy gets its very own first class seat!
- Guest Speaker from McKinsey
Peter Mombaur provided a deep dive into management consulting at McKinsey. From the Gates Foundation to the government of South Africa, all types of companies hire McKinsey to help solve their business problems.
Peter shared McKinsey’s method to approach problem solving = MECE (mutually exclusive, collectively exhaustive)
- Mass Casualty Simulation
- The students in the Medicine & Healthcare track got to experience a “mass casualty simulation” where some students acted as first responders and others were covered in “blood” as trauma patients.